Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Turkey Chili Redeemed

Well I learned a valuable lesson during my chili making experience. I had never made chili before and only did so to be supportive of my 11 yr. old daughter who wants to enter a local chili contest in July. Anyway I learned that every spice isn't interchangeable.
When I gotten all my ingredients together, or so I thought I noticed I didn't have chili powder. How do you make chili without chili powder??? But me being the quick thinker I am figured that chili powder must just add the heat so I will just substitute cayenne pepper for the chili powder, yea that's right cayenne. By the time it was done I couldn't even go into my kitchen without the smell from my crockpot burning my eyes.
My husband bless his heart ate all of the chili I made even though I told him over and over again that he didn't have to. ( It was a little bit comical and great deal painful watching him shovel the spicy concoction into his mouth like he was in an eating contest where swallowing without much chewing was the winning technique all the while telling me how good it is)
So I decided to give it a go one more time before totally giving up on homemade chili and going back to my favorite canned brand. And this time I still only got a little bit but because I couldn't keep my husband and kids out of it. (It actually could have used a little bit more heat, but it turned out mild enough for my kids to eat.)

Turkey Chili

3 tbs. oil
1 large onion
3 cloves, garlic
1 lb ground turkey
3 c. water
1 (30oz) can tomato sauce
1/8 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. cumin
1 small bay leaf
2 tbs. chili powder
1/4 tsp. basil
1 1/2 salt
2 (15 oz) cans red kidney beans
1 (15 oz) can great northern or white beans

  • Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, add onion and garlic saute until golden brown.
  • Add turkey and brown
  • Add the remaining ingredients, except the beans and cooked turkey to crockpot.
  • Stir to mix and cook on high 15 mins.
  • Reduce heat and simmer, covered until the sauce is as thick as desired.
  • Add the beans and heat through.

* you can add black beans (if you prefer) and more cayenne for more heat. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment